[UPDATE] A representative for NECA told GameSpot today that the company is not in fact producing new Crash figures, at least not right now.
“It’s not the case,” the rep said. “Someone has misunderstood a comment he made. Randy saw a faked fan-made image right before he came to the show and said that if the game were coming back, we’d love to do figures.”
The original story is below.
More evidence to suggest that the Crash series is being resurrected has come to light. In an interview with Pixel Dan at the New York Toy Fair this week, NECA director of product development Randy Falk mentioned the Crash series as one that the company is excited about for the future (via NeoGAF).
“Finally, we’ve been able to get back in with Sony,” he said, referencing new toys it’s making for the Uncharted and God of War series, among others. “Looking at some of their other titles, I see they’re bringing Crash Bandicoot back, which is really cool.”
NECA has a number of figures based on Sony franchises coming out this year, including Nathan Drake (Uncharted), Sakcboy (LittleBigPlanet), and Kratos (God of War) figures.
The above-mentioned interview was even promoted by NECA on its Twitter account.
GameSpot has followed up with NECA in an attempt to get more details on the company’s plans for the Crash series. We’ll update this post with anything we hear back.
Earlier this month, the PlayStation Middle East Twitter account posted the tweet below, the English translation of which is, “Most wanted person… where are you Crash?”
أكثر شخص مطلوب… أين أنت يا كراش؟ pic.twitter.com/aj85Ap018v
— PlayStation Mid East (@PlayStation_ME) February 6, 2016
Before that, at PlayStation Experience in December 2015, PlayStation boss Shawn Layden wore a Crash t-shirt, but no Crash announcements were made during the show.
The latest Crash Bandicoot game for consoles was 2008’s Crash Bandicoot: Mind Over Mutant, which was published by Activision. The series was created by Naughty Dog and was for a time developed exclusively for PlayStation systems before Activision apparently scooped up the rights.
In November 2013, it was suggested that the Crash IP might have switched hands and gone to Sony after all mention of Crash was removed from Activision’s website. However, Activision at the time confirmed that it continued to own the franchise and was still looking to “explore ways in which we could bring the beloved series back to life.”
For its part, Naughty Dog has said it’s open to the idea of making a new Crash, though it’s a Sony-owned studio, which could be problematic.
“It’s never off the table,” Naughty Dog community strategist Arne Meyer said in July 2014 when asked about bringing back Crash. “It’s not too much time passing, but it’s the same issues we explored with the Jak game: Is it something that makes sense to us now? I mean, we still have people that worked on the Crash games in the studio. We never forget our past and it’d be great for nostalgic reasons. It’d be the same reason as why there isn’t a Jak 4: I don’t know if it’s playing to our strengths right now.”
Would you like to see Crash come back? Let us know in the comments below!