Frank Darabont, who developed AMC’s hit television series The Walking Dead (and was the original showrunner), is moving forward with his lawsuit against the network, seeking a hefty sum from AMC that amounts to over $280 million in damages.
A certificate of trial readiness was filed on Monday, and AMC has since responded to Darabont’s charges, providing The Hollywood Reporter with the following statement: “Plaintiffs’ damages claim has no basis in reality and we will continue to vigorously defend against this lawsuit.”
Darabont, who was fired during The Walking Dead’s second season, is claiming that AMC owes him contingent profits by producing the series and then licensing it to their own cable network affiliate at a low fee — lower than they would when paying for a show from an outside studio — to ensure the show wouldn’t make enough for those who have a stake in its profits. He also says AMC unfairly lowered his share of the profits by designating him as not fully involved in Season 2, while he insists he was involved in all of the episodes that season, in some capacity. Last year, it was said Darabont was also contending he was owed money tied to Talking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead, as derivative productions of The Walking Dead.