The Deadpool sequel is moving forward without director Tim Miller, according to a report.
Deadline reports that Miller has exited the movie after a “series of creative differences” with star Ryan Reynolds. “He hadn’t formally signed a deal to continue, but he was developing the script and by all accounts had planned to return behind the camera for a film Fox will release in 2018,” Deadline said. The nature of the creative differences was not specified in the report.
According to Deadline’s Mike Fleming Jr., the split was over “mutual creative differences” and is described as amicable in nature. Fox isn’t saying goodbye to Miller altogether, as he is expected to direct Fox’s Influx, based on the Daniel Suarez novel, that could be the first in a trilogy.
Released in February, the R-rated Deadpool was a smash hit. It made $782 million at the worldwide box office against a budget of $58 million, according to Box Office Mojo.
In June 2016, Deadpool 2‘s script was nearing completion from writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, who are returning from the first film. The movie was at one time expected to start shooting in early 2017, though it remains to be seen if that’s still the case now that Miller has reportedly dropped out.
“We don’t want $150 million to go make the next movie; that’s not Deadpool,” Wernick said earlier this year. “Deadpool doesn’t lift cities up into the air or battle aliens coming down to earth; that’s just not Deadpool. So we’re happy in that little small budget range that they have us in; we don’t wanna blow this next one out.”
Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn weighed on the report today.
Honestly bummed about Tim Miller leaving Deadpool. He did an amazing job with the first one; I’d like to have seen where he’d go next.
— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) October 22, 2016
Recently, a report listed off the actresses who are apparently in the running to play Domino in the film. For more on Deadpool 2, check out GameSpot’s feature, “7 Things We Want to See in the Deadpool Sequel.”