Mario is finally making his mobile debut next month with Super Mario Run. With more than 2.5 billion iOS and Android devices out there, could the game become the best-selling Mario game ever made?
The short answer is… no. Probably not. But as always, it’s a little more nuanced once you dig into it. To start, let’s take a look at the current standings for best-selling Mario games:
- 1) Super Mario Bros. (1985) – 40.24 million
- 2) New Super Mario Bros. (2010) – 30.79 million
- 3) New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009) – 29.32 million
- 4) Super Mario World (1990) – 21.11 million
- 5) Super Mario Land (1989) – 18.06 million