The Hellboy series might be coming back–but with some major changes.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, film company Millennium is in talks to reboot the series with a new lead and director. The report said Stranger Things star David Harbour could play the demon Hellboy, with The Descent and Game of Thrones veteran Neil Marshall reportedly in discussions to direct. Hellboy creator Mike Mignola confirmed those details on Facebook, adding that the film will be rated R.
Okay, here’s some news–
There IS going to be another HELLBOY MOVIE.
It’s going to be an R rated reboot directed… https://t.co/d1oyNeq4R9
— Mike Mignola (@artofmmignola) May 9, 2017
The new Hellboy film is reportedly in the works under the working title Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen, with a script written by Andrew Cosby and Christopher Golden, while Mignola, is also on the writing team.
Ron Perlman has played Hellboy in the two previous films, 2004’s Hellboy and 2008’s Hellboy II: The Golden Army, both of which were directed by Guillermo del Toro. The pair are reportedly not involved whatsoever in the reboot.
Earlier this year, del Toro said he spoke with Mignola and Perlman and it was decided that the director would not be involved in a third movie.
In 2015, del Toro explained that part of the problem came down to the budget. “The hard fact is that the movie’s going to need about $120 million and there’s nobody knocking down our doors to give it to us,” he admitted during a Television Critic’s Association Q&A.
Hellboy first appeared in 1993, and has featured in a wide variety of regular comic books, miniseries, one-shots, and crossovers since then, published by Dark Horse Comics.
What would you like to see from the Hellboy reboot? Let us know in the comments below!