Mario is holding steady as the top seller on Nintendo Switch, enjoying two of the top three spots. The company shared updated global sales data in its earnings report, and Super Mario Odyssey has come out on top with more than 10 million units sold. The second spot is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, followed by The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
The iconic plumber is also riding high on 3DS, as Mario Kart 7 is the top seller just ahead of Pokemon X/Y and Pokemon Sun/Moon. Don’t cry for Pokemon, though. As a series it’s the biggest by far, showing up in four of the ten top spots for 3DS sales. That includes Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, which reached 7.51 million units sold despite being both the newest one and an updated re-release of another Pokemon game already on the list.
These figures were released as part of the latest fiscal year earnings. That report also revealed the Switch has sold 17.79 million units, and Nintendo predicts it will sell 20 million more by the end of the fiscal year, which runs through March 2019. The company also took the opportunity to announce the retirement of president Tatsumi Kimishima, who will be replaced by the relatively young 46-year-old Shuntaro Furukawa as of June 28. Furukawa is a decades-long Nintendo veteran currently heading up the global marketing team.
- Super Mario Odyssey — 10.41 million
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe — 9.22 million
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild — 8.48 million
- Splatoon 2 — 6.02 million
- 1-2 Switch — 2.29 million
- Arms — 1.85 million
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 — 1.31 million
- Kirby Star Allies — 1.26 million
- Mario Kart 7 — 17.04 million
- Pokemon X/Y — 16.29 million
- Pokemon Sun/Moon — 16.10 million
- Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire — 14.06 million
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 — 12.61 million
- Super Mario 3D Land — 11.96 million
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf — 11.69 million
- Super Smash Bros. for 3DS — 9.24 million
- Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon — 7.51 million
- Tomodachi Life — 6.20 million