Regular updates continue to change Fortnite, and the latest update, v4.4, adds the Stink Bomb item and more to Battle Royale. Server downtime has ended, meaning the patch is now available on PS4, Xbox One, PC, Nintendo Switch, and mobile.
The Stink Bomb is a new throwable weapon; it “creates a stinky cloud that deals five damage every half-second within the cloud.” It lasts for nine seconds in total, and can be found in Epic rarity only in chests, Vending Machines, and in floor loot.
In addition, a new limited-time mode has been added. Named Final Fight: Teams of 20, the mode sees five teams of 20 players each go to battle in a Final Fight variant of Battle Royale. This means the storm circle ceases closing in after its third shift. At this point, a countdown will begin, and the team with the most players remaining at the end of the timer will win.
For more from update 4.4, check out the full patch notes at the bottom of this article, via Epic Games. The patch comes ahead of the Week 8 challenges but will not fix a recent issue which meant a symbol resembling a swastika could inadvertently be seen in-game–that fix is coming next week. Update 4.4 is the game’s first since the launch of Battle Royale on Nintendo Switch. That came shortly after it was confirmed during Nintendo’s E3 press conference broadcast, though it had been leaked and rumored for quite some time.
Fortnite Update 4.4 Patch Notes
- Fixed several issues with Discord integration and improved the information displayed when in a Battle Royale or Save the World game.
Limited Time Mode – Final Fight: Teams Of 20
Survive the countdown! The Storm Circles give players more room to hunt down opponents. The final circle triggers a countdown timer; when the time is up, the team with the most players remaining wins. In this LTM, teams can tie for the Victory Royale!
- Final Fight plays similar to standard Battle Royale, but instead of the Storm circles closing all the way, the Storm stops after the 3rd circle.
- When the circles have finished closing in, the final countdown timer will begin.
- The remaining teams will battle it out until the timer expires.
- The team with the most players remaining at the end of the timer wins!
- In the event of a tie, the two (or more) teams tied for the lead win the match.
Weapons And Items
- Stink Bomb added.
- Creates a stinky cloud that deals 5 damage every half-second within the cloud.
- 9-second duration.
- Epic rarity.
- Can be found from floor loot, chests, and Vending Machines.
- Loot in stacks of 3 with a maximum stack of 5.
- Increased the reload time of the Rocket Launcher based on rarity.
- Rare from 2.3 seconds to 2.8.
- Epic from 2.185 seconds to 2.66.
- Legendary from 2.07 to 2.52.
- The maximum number of unloaded Rocket Ammo that can be held has been changed to 12.
- Enemy built structures are no longer lit up by the thermal scope.
- Cozy Campfires are now lit by the thermal scope.
- Back Bling no longer appears detached from players at a distance.
- Fixed the two intersecting busses on the starting island.
- Fixed performance issues on Switch related to frequently called time functions during gameplay (especially when skydiving).
- Level streaming optimization to smooth out some hitches during skydiving on Switch.
- The music for the Fresh emote has been re-added.
- Fixed attenuation of Supply Drop opening sound so it doesn’t sound like it’s right next to players even if it’s opened far away.
- The Clinger explosion sound now plays properly if detonated directly next to you on iOS/Switch platforms.
- Added the “Net Debug Stats” HUD UI option for Xbox.
- Fixed a crash that could happen after buying items in the Item Shop.
- When using styleable outfits, your last saved version will always appear in the locker preview.
Save The World
Missions And Systems
- Fixed an issue which could block progression where the Chrome Husky would no longer spawn if the Magnets! quest was completed. Players who were blocked will now be unblocked with this fix.
- New Constructor Demolitionist: 8-Bit Demo added to the Event Store.
- Available Wednesday, June 20 at 5 PM PT / 8 PM ET (June 21 at 1 AM BST / 10 AM AET)