Epic Games has released patch 6.1 for Fortnite and, alongside it, the full patch notes detailing everything new and everything that has been changed. While not as significant as the last patch, which kicked off Season 6, this update does add in a new item called the Chiller. “Don’t get cold feet! Freeze your foes and slide around for a quick getaway,” reads the official description. The Chiller is a large trap that encases an enemy player’s feet in ice on contact, causing them to slide around. Check out the video below to see it in action.
[Update] Epic has confirmed that the Soaring 50s limited time mode will be available “shortly” as it is currently fixing a small issue discovered during testing.
The other big addition is custom Playground options which allow you to tweak settings such as health, time of day, gravity, and more. Take a look at the full patch notes below, which details the new additions, as well as the other tweaks to gameplay and performance. You can also see how the patch changes Fortnite’s Save The World mode here.
Limited Time Mode: Playground
Playground Custom Options
- Added more options to Playground. Allowing you to change settings such as starting health, time of day, gravity, and more!
Weapons + Items
- Chiller added.
- Common Trap.
- Can be placed on floors, walls, or ceilings.
- Drops in stacks of 3 in Treasure Chests, Supply Drops, Vending Machines, Supply Llamas, and floor loot.
- Applies icy feet to friends or foes, causing them to slide around with low friction.
- Fixed an issue that could cause vehicles to become uncontrollable.
- Made improvements to the motion controls for the Switch to make it feel more accurate and responsive.
- Pets are now hidden along with your character when the camera is too close to you.
- Toys now respect the streamer mode setting for player names in minigame messages.
- Slightly increased the hitbox size on the Fancy Tomato to match its visual size.
- The following adjustments have been made to Glider audio tells:
- Muffled the audio if there isn’t a clear line of sight between you other gliding players.
- Fixed an issue where incorrect audio would play when a teammate was eliminated.
- Added star ratings to the UI elements of all trap items.
- Fixed an issue where players occasionally couldn’t interact with items.
Fortnite Season 6 began on September 27 and, at the same time, the floating island that rose from Loot Lake began moving around the map. It is leaving strange craters in its wake and, as of yet, we’re not sure what this means, though fans are speculating it could be building up to a new event. Epic also added new cosmetics to unlock, which you can see in our Fortnite Season 6 Battle Pass rewards gallery. You can also find tips for all the latest challenges in our Season 6 challenge roundup.