Plain Vanilla’s app has over 40 million registered users
It’s hard to recognize a tipping-point until it’s come and gone. This year, like every other year since 2011 or 2012, esports are poised to break through into the mainstream. But with companies like Turner set to broadcast a Counter-Strike league on TBS (the unfortunately-named ELEAGUE), and ESPN getting into esports coverage, esports have already grown way beyond the niche-hobby they were for the past 20 years. It’s time for the hard part: figuring out what esports will look like when it’s not just running on #passion.
Despite reports that Ark: Survival Evolved runs crappy on Xbox One, the developers have announced it
Despite reports that Ark: Survival Evolved runs crappy on Xbox One, the developers have announced it’s getting split-screen support, which is cool! It’s not clear when split-screen will be patched into the game, but hopefully it comes alongside some other performance improvements. More split-screen!
NASA’s newest class of astronauts has just graduated with a 50-50 split of men and women – four of each.
The group were selected from more than 6,300 applicants, and while the four women are far from the first female astronauts, this is NASA’s most balanced astronaut class ever.
Swipe right for professional bios:
The follow-up to the Five Nights at Freddy’s series is here, but this time you’re on the same side as the creepy Freddy Fazbear. The horror series is leaving the jump scares in the funhouse and embarking on a role-playing adventure.
The story has you playing as Freddy and his friends on a quest to save “a world that reflects the actions and deeds of the ‘flipside.'” This world used to be a safe heaven, but things haven’t been going very well, so it’s your job to save it.
Its Steam page also notes that it has some unusual battle commands that beginners will need to know:
- Birthday – Temporarily increases attack, defense, and speed. Very useful in the early parts of the game.
- Waterhose – Instantly kills enemies under 30% health.
- Giftboxes – Puts a gift-box at the feet of each of your team members. When they die, it will automatically bring them back to life with full health.
- Hot Cheese – Put globs of hot cheese on the floor, doing damage-over-time to enemies.
- Unscrew – 30% chance of instant death to one enemy.
- Esc Key – Chance of death for all enemies on screen. (less likely to work than Unscrew)
- Mystery Box – Swaps out all members of your party for random characters. They go back to normal after the battle is over.
- Prize Ball – Performs a random attack.
- Jumpscare – Stuns enemies for a few seconds. Less effective on bosses.
FNaF World is available on Steam right now for $9.99.
In related news, it was revealed last year that Oscar-nominated director Gil Kenan will be directing the Five Nights at Freddy’s movie.